Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Double Chocolate Doughnuts


Ever since Faschnaut Day (Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday for all you non-German folk) I have had a serious hankering for doughnuts! A faschnaut is a doughnut that is eaten on the day before Ash Wednesday. The tradition began because folks needed a way to rid their pantry of sweets in preparation for Lent so they decided to make and consume the faschnaut. Readily available in my Pennsylvania-Dutch hometown, faschnauts have not caught on yet in DC... 

Doughnuts, however, are apparently next "cupcake." In other words, they're t
he latest trend in the foodie world. News of doughnut shops soon to be popping up all over DC dominates my blog roll... But the key word there is "soon." Many of these places don't actually have a brick and mortar store yet. So photo after photo of delicious-looking doughnuts tantalize me like one of those dollar bills on a string.

Therefore, I was left with three options: 

Option 1) Skip out of work to metro downtown to one of the "pop up previews" where the doughnuts were being given away at other establishments to create buzz. My craving was intense, but not worth losing my job over so option one was a no go.

Option 2) Order them online. Online orders generally began at two dozen. Being that I don't have a family of five to feed, this did not seem practical so scratch that off the list as well. 

Option 3) Make some myself to hold me over. Option three it is!

Luckily, I purchased a doughnut pan on after-Christmas clearance at Target so I was prepared to fight this craving head on! I found a recipe for baked chocolate donuts with chocolate glaze that was perfect for this chocoloholic. And with whole wheat flour and applesauce in the recipe, these aren't half bad for you! Are they as amazing as the fried glazed fluffy bites of heaven you can get from a doughnut bakery? No. But they definitely are tasty, cute, and crave-worthy.

A few notes, I found these keep best when stored in a Tupperware container in the fridge. Even still, after a couple days the glaze got a little weird. All the more reason to eat these a few at a time!

Also, I realize not everyone has a doughnut pan. Unfortunately, I think the batter is too liquidy to make doughnuts or even doughnut holes without something to contain it. Some thoughts on alternatives - you could try baking this in ramekins. Or if you have metal cookie cutters, place them on a baking sheet, pour the batter into the shape and bake directly in the cookie cutter. Please understand, though, that I haven't actually tried either of these methods so if you end up with just a blob that barely resembles a doughnut, I apologize. If you're like me and enjoy a good doughnut with glass of milk (or for you weirdos out there that actually like it, with your coffee... yuck!) you may just consider purchasing a pan. Mine was under ten dollars, and trust me - when fall rolls around and you're busting out apple cider or pumpkin spice doughnuts, you'll thank me. 

Lastly, do not, I repeat, DO NOT forget the sprinkles. Look at how darn cute these little buggers are!


Double Chocolate Doughnuts 

Doughnuts: 
1 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 c. almond milk (regular milk should work fine as well)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce

Glaze: 
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp canola oil
1 tbsp corn syrup 
1/4 tsp vanilla
Sprinkles!

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray doughnut pan with cooking spray. Mix flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg, milk, oil, and applesauce and mix until well combined. 

Fill each cavity of the doughnut pan halfway with batter. Bake approximately 7 minutes until fully cooked. 

While doughnuts are cooling, slowly melt the chocolate chips by microwaving for approximately 20 seconds at a time at a low power level. Be sure to do this carefully to avoid burning the chocolate. Once the chocolate is melted enough that you can stir it, add in the corn syrup and oil and microwave on low for another few seconds at a time until you reach a glaze consistency. Add in vanilla and stir. 

Dunk the cooled doughnuts in the glaze (I found twisting them worked best) and top with sprinkles. Allow the glaze to set before storing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment