Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lemony Moroccan Quinoa with Lamb Sausage and Yogurt-Mint Sauce

Bold claim: this is probably my favorite recipe I've posted on this site to date. It may be because I'm secretly proud that I dreamed up an ethnic dish without any inspiration recipes; it may be because I was ravenously hungry when I made it; but I think it's just because it's really darn tasty!


As with a lot of my cooking, this dish was inspired by trying to think of a delicious way to prepare one particular ingredient I had on hand; in this case, lamb sausage. I like lamb but had never actually cooked it before. I could have taken the easy way out and just grilled it and served with some veggies, but I felt like a special ingredient deserved some special attention. So I came up with the idea of pairing it with dried apricots for that sweet/savory contrast I love so much. And from there the ideas just kept on flying... I'll serve over quinoa! With pistachios! And what kind of flavors? Lemon! And mint! And because I was concerned it might be a bit dry and I love yogurt oh so much, I'd top it all off with a yogurt sauce! It was a done deal; all I needed now was to hit up Trader Joe's for the ingredients.


Well, after about two hours of wandering like a kid and a candy store, I finally emerged from the TJ's black hole ready to make my dreams a reality. The dish came together quite easily; the hardest part is just timing it all so it's done at the same time. Here's the game plan I'd suggest:

Get your quinoa cooking on the stove first (just follow the instructions on the package). Then start chopping so you have everything ready to go: onions, spinach, mint, pistachios, and apricots. Next, spray the bottom of a skillet with olive oil or cooking spray and sauté your onions. When almost cooked, add the spinach. Meanwhile, put the lamb sausage on the grill. I used my Foreman, but if you don't have one and it's not outdoor grilling season (which unless I have any Florida readers, it's not...), you could also put it under the broiler or just cook it in a frying pan. No matter which method you choose, be careful not to overcook as lamb sausage can get dry and tough if cooked too long.


Once the quinoa is cooked, add the sautéed veggies, half the chopped mint, the pistachios and apricots, some lemon juice, cumin, allspice, and just a dash of salt. Fluff with a fork.

As your lamb finishes up, mix the yogurt sauce by combining yogurt, lemon  juice, the rest of the mint, and minced garlic. Serve the lamb sausage over the quinoa and top with the yogurt mint sauce. 

The dish really looks and tastes more complex than it is, making it a perfect choice for serving at a dinner party. Or keep this gem all to yourself an enjoy with a nice glass of wine - you deserve it!





Lemony Moroccan Quinoa with Lamb Sausage and Yogurt-Mint Sauce
(Makes approximately one dinner serving plus enough for lunch paired with a side) 

For the quinoa: 

3/4 c uncooked quinoa
20 pistachios, chopped
5 dried apricots, cut into small pieces
6 mint leaves, chopped finely
1/3 c onion, chopped
Handful of spinach, sliced into small strips
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp cumin
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1 large or 2 small/medium links of lamb sausage (omit for a vegetarian dish)

For the yogurt sauce: 

1/4 c plain greek yogurt
6 mint leaves, chopped finely 
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 - 2.5 tsp lemon juice

Cook quinoa according to directions on package. In a separate pan, sauté chopped onions. When almost translucent, add spinach and cook until wilted. 

Grill lamb sausage until cooked all the way through. 

When quinoa is cooked, add in sautéed vegetables, pistachios, apricots, mint, spices, and lemon juice. Fluff with a fork. Top with sliced lamb sausage. 

Mix ingredients for yogurt sauce. Spoon on top of the lamb and quinoa. 

1 comment:

  1. I've tries this and my family was amazed! First because I generally don't cook...this was very easy to prepare and it tasted great. Now what to serve with it?? What would be a great side vegetable, salad or bread?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete