Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New England Clam Chowda

Believe it or not, just a year ago I didn't eat any seafood. Shrimp, fish, scallops, crab... I wouldn't touch it. I ate some seafood as a child -- fish or tuna noodle casserole -- but one day I just decided it was gross and never looked back. Fast forward fifteen years, and I found myself living in the Chesapeake Bay-area and, as a non-seafood eater, I felt like a fish out of water (sorry, pun intended...). About a year ago, I finally convinced myself that as someone loves all other kinds of food, I had no reason to let fear stand in the way of enjoying an entire genre of food, and I needed to give it a go. I slowly tasted a few things here and there, and then about six months ago, decided to throw caution to the wind and start testing out seafood whenever I had the chance. That was one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

I haven't gotten around to trying absolutely everything yet, but crab cakes, tilapia, shrimp, sea bass, scallops, smoked salmon... I love it all! So back in October, while on a girls weekend getaway in New England, I tried a lobster roll and bowl of New England clam chowder, and ever since, I've been wanting to make my own. Well, lobster is quite expensive, but I recently decided to give the clam chowder a whirl!

I'm not sure why I thought that one experience with clam chowder qualified me as enough of an expert to not follow a recipe, but I was determined to create my own recipe! I knew what I wanted -- I wanted it to be light enough that a bowlful didn't make you feel overstuffed but still creamy like a New England clam chowder should be. I wanted it to be easy (AKA I wasn't dealing with live clams). And I wanted it to be full of veggies. Now, a true stickler from New England with very specific criteria for their chowda might not approve of this recipe, but I definitely enjoyed it and I served it to a born-and-raised Mainer who helped herself to seconds so that's good enough for me! 

I started by chopping and sauteing onions, carrots, and parsnips in a gigantic pot. After a few minutes, I added some celery, and after a few more minutes, red pepper. Meanwhile, I chopped cauliflower into florets and steamed it in the microwave until soft. I blended the cauliflower with some fat free half and half in a food processor to create a puree that would help thicken the soup. 

Once the veggies were getting tender (but not mushy), I added in the broth (I used chicken broth because I didn't have any vegetable), milk, and cauliflower puree as well as bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste. I let this simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. It wasn't quite as thick as I wanted, so I added in additional half and half and some cornstarch to thicken it up. At this point, I also added in a small can of corn (drained), a can of potatoes chopped into small cubes, and two small cans of clams (one of which I totally drained and one that I left most of the liquid in for additional flavor). 

Continue to let the soup simmer as you stir occasionally for at least another 10 minutes or so. Taste test to judge if you want to add additional salt, pepper, or red pepper flakes or if it needs any more cornstarch to thicken. (Tip: when adding cornstarch, do so slowly and with a whisk so you don't get lumps in your soup.) 

Some notes: you don't need to use all of the vegetables I used if you don't have them. Whatever you like will work! Also, if you want to cook your own potatoes rather than using ones from a can, you can add them as soon as you add the liquid to the pot and cook them in the broth. If you're feeling really adventurous and want to use fresh clams, more power to ya! You'll have to google a recipe though, because that's one thing I still haven't attempted... 

I intended on using some turkey bacon in this recipe as well but simply forgot, so I cooked a piece afterward and sprinkled it on top, but I have to say, I didn't really like it. I also added some hot sauce to see how that would taste but didn't care much for that either. I liked this best plain and simple, with just some crackers or toasty bread for dipping and a salad on the side. Hope you enjoy this chowder as much as I'm enjoying exploring the wide world of seafood!




Round two of many on the Lazy Susan 

Speaking of seafood... I mentioned in the introductory post that I'd also occasionally blog about reviews of restaurants and products. Well I recently took a trip out to Falls Church, Virginia to Fortune Seafood for their weekend dim sum brunch and wanted to report back. (Apologies to those who don't live near DC as my restaurant reviews will almost exclusively be from this area, but that will just give everyone even more reason to come and visit!). For those who have never been, dim sum is more than a meal; it's an experience. As soon as you sit down, you are swarmed by carts of 
dumplings, rolls, noodle dishes, buns, etc. The servers buzz around the room at the speed of light, offering you their delicacies with little explanation of what you'll be eating. If you accept, they stamp your table's card to keep track of what you've purchased, hand you the food, and are off to the next table before you can blink an eye. It can be a bit overwhelming, but it is definitely delicious, fun, and adventurous! If you haven't been, I highly suggest it, and Fortune is a great place to start. Yes, Falls Church is a trek, but it's worth it if you want the authentic dim sum experience that you just can't find in the city. Don't expect anything fancy or particularly charming but do expect to leave super full and satisfied for a very reasonable price. That being said, I don't suggest going if you have a lot of dietary restrictions or aren't a huge seafood fan -- many of the dishes are from under the sea. My favorite dish was the banana shrimp rolls, but the bok choy, coconut mango buns, and crab meatballs were also memorable. If you head out the Fortune, leave a comment letting me know what you think! 


New England Clam Chowder


3 cups 1% milk 
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 c. fat free half and half, divided
8 oz can of corn, drained 
15oz can of potatoes, chopped
2 6.5oz cans of clams (one only partially drained) 
2 c. cauliflower, chopped into florets
1/2 c. carrots, chopped
1/2 c. parsnips, peeled and chopped
1/3 c. red pepper, chopped
3/4 c. celery, chopped 
1/2 c. onion, chopped
3 bay leaves
1.5 tsp dried thyme
½ tbsp cornstarch 
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Red pepper flakes, to taste 

Chop all veggies. Coat bottom of large pot in cooking spray or thin layer of olive oil. Begin to saute onions, carrots, and parsnips over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Once these vegetables start to get slightly tender, add celery. After the celery begins to soften, add the red pepper. Continue to stir occasionally. 

Meanwhile, place chopped cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with a few drops of water. Cover and steam until soft. Combine cauliflower and 1/4 c. half and half in food processor and blend until smooth. Once veggies are tender, turn heat down to medium-low and add broth, milk, cauliflower puree, bay leaves, and seasonings to the pot. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. 


Add clams, chopped potatoes, and corn. Stir. Slowly add in cornstarch a little at a time, stirring thoroughly until combined. Add the remaining half and half. Simmer for at least 10 additional minutes. If desired, add more cornstarch for thickness and/or seasonings for flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment