Sunday, February 3, 2013

Roasted Cauliflower Yogurt Dip and Homemade Tortilla Chips




With just four ingredients plus a handful of spices, this roasted cauliflower yogurt dip is so simple and quite healthy, yet tasty enough to impress a crowd. As I mentioned in my last post, I served this as an appetizer for Chicken Tikka Masala so I adjusted the seasonings a bit from the inspiration recipe to complement the flavors of my meal. Based on the fact that we were scrapping the last specks of the dip from bowl before the last guest even arrived, I'd say it was a success! 

I served with the world's simplest homemade tortilla chips which I've made three times again since! A few months ago, I was walking through Bed, Bath, and Beyond to purchase a birthday gift when one of those aisle stands meant to seduce vulnerable shoppers caught my eye... I fell into the trap and walked out of the store with a microwave chip maker. Luckily in this case, that $20 impulse purchase was totally worth it! I've used it to make potato chips, zucchini chips, apple chips, you name it. But tortilla chips may be my new favorite! All you do is use a pizza cutter to cut up a tortilla, place the pieces on the chip maker, microwave for one minute, flip, and put it back in for another 30 seconds. That's it! No oil, no spray, no nothing. They come out so crispy, I almost wouldn't believe it if I hadn't done it myself! Not to worry if you don't have one of these magic chip makers... you can also make baked tortilla chips in the oven. Or serve with pita chips, toasted bread, or raw veggies.



So, to make the dip, spray or lightly drizzle cauliflower with olive oil, season, and roast under high heat for at least 20 minutes until it starts to turn a nice brown color in some spots. After it's cooled a bit, blend in a food processor (or blender) with plain greek yogurt and lemon juice until smooth. Mix in additional seasonings and serve -- it's that easy! You'll need to season generously because both cauliflower and yogurt are rather plain on their own. Also, I found this dip tastes better when you take it out of the fridge for a while before serving so it can warm up a bit, but I didn't like it warmed in the microwave. Call me picky, but that's how it was best!



Going to a Super Bowl party tonight? This dip would certainly be a nice addition to the spread! But in case you're looking for even more inspiration, here's some recipes I've made in the past that you might consider. It's possible that one of these may end up being the topic of a future blog post, in which case you'll just have to pretend to be surprised ;) 

Homemade Dunkaroos



Roasted Cauliflower Yogurt Dip 

3/4 of a small/medium head of cauliflower
3/4 c yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
Olive oil
Cumin
Salt
Red pepper flakes
Curry powder
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Chop cauliflower into florets. Spray or lightly drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Roast for 20 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.

Mix cauliflower, yogurt, and lemon juice in food processor. Blend until smooth. Season with additional salt, red pepper flakes, cumin, curry powder, and garlic powder to taste.

Serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment